In the latest version of the Steam mobile app, you may have noticed that there is a new feature that uses QR codes. The Steam QR code, or QR scanner, is a simple way to sign into Steam using two-factor authentication.
Steam QR code is in contrast to the traditional two-factor authentication system, where you must provide a username and password before granting access to your account. The Steam QR code may be easier to remember than a password and is likely a more practical solution to gaining access to your Steam account.
How to Activate the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator?
You must take two main steps to activate the Steam Guard mobile authenticator. Here is everything you need to do this:
- Install the Steam mobile app on your phone
- Activate the authenticator feature by doing the followings:
- Install the Steam mobile on your phone and run it.
- Enter your ID and password, then press Sign In.
- Check your mail if you’ve received a temporary Steam Guard code. Enter the code there.
- Click on ☰ the settings menu button in the upper left corner.
- Tap Steam Guard and tap Add Authenticator in the menu.
- Enter your phone number, select Add phone and wait for the SMS. Enter the code SMS code field and tap on Submit. Enter the recovery code and wait for the timer to disappear.
- Good job, you’re all set. Now, you need to open the mobile authenticator app to generate a code every time Steam asks you for a Steam Guard code.
Steam QR Code Login
A Steam QR code is a quick response barcode that is displayed on a web page when scanned with your phone’s camera. After scanning the code, a confirmation page is displayed. It shows an approximate map of where you are and lets you prove that you own the account. You can also choose whether to approve or deny the sign-in attempt.
This new feature is available on the desktop and mobile versions of Steam. You can scan a Steam QR code on the desktop version of the Steam login page. The desktop version can also show you the games in your library and the trade options available. You can also use this feature to initiate game downloads remotely.
If you want to check out the new Steam mobile app, you’ll need to first update your Steam PC client. Once that’s done, you can download the app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store. Alternatively, you can sign up for a beta and test the new features. The beta will give you access to the new Steam app’s most exciting features. Here are the steps you need to take to activate your Steam QR Code:
- Open the Steam Mobile App. Go to the Steam Guard menu (the middle “shield” icon in the bottom navigation bar) for the “Scan a QR code” prompt.
- Scan the QR code by holding your phone up to the Steam sign-in panel and
- After scanning the QR code, the app will show you a confirmation page with details about your sign-in attempt. If this information looks correct, approve the request to complete your login.
How To Replace Guard Code with QR Code?
Don’t worry; the Steam QR code feature is just an optional one. You can still use Steam Guard Codes to log in to the app. However, the new QR Code is a simpler and time-saving feature if you want to log into the Steam app with minimum risks.
You can still use your Steam Guard Codes to trade games in your Steam Account. We are not sure if Steam will completely remove the Steam Guard Codes from the application or not, but the new updates on the application have made the users really happy.